Friday, June 4, 2010

Last Day of Daycare

A few months ago, Lisa, our incredible daycare provider told us she is closing after the school year is over to move onto a different adventure in her life. She has 4 children of her own, Becca will be a second grader, Luke will be a fourth grader, Hannah will be a sixth grader, and Zach will be a ninth grader. I completely understand why she is done with this phase of her life and will always support her no matter what, but it doesn't make it easier to say good-bye.

Three years ago, after Kali was born, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to work because I feared finding daycare, but I decided I would go back part-time and try it. I can honestly say I have loved every second of it, because I know Lisa has taken care of my children as she takes care of her own kids. She has gone above and beyond any provider ever could. She sends me pictures and emails throughout the day of the kids, hugs them, loves them, misses them when she doesn't see them, celebrates their milestones just as I do as their mother. She has been like a mentor mom to me, giving me advice as they hit their different stages. She also been a friend and when I found out she was closing I cried a lot of tears wondering how I could or would ever find another Lisa.

Next fall the kids will be going right next door to Lisa to a friend named Becky. Becky brought Kali to preschool for me this past fall when I worked full-time. Becky is just taking our kids part-time to play with her three boys Will, 5, Wyatt 4, and Ben 3. Kali and Cody love Becky and know her really well already and are excited to go there. I am not nearly as sad as I first was because the kids and I will both still see Lisa and her family and Becky will do a wonderful job.

As we close one chapter in our life another opens, but sometimes closing the ones you love are really hard. We love you Lisa!

Here are few of the last pictures she sent me this week


1 comment:

Lisa Peterson said...

Taking care of Kali and Cody has been entirely my pleasure. I wrote a post about them but it didn't show up so I'll say it again. These children are the product of excellent wonderful parents. Kali is 3 going on 14. She is mature, smarter than the dickens, fair, honest, hardworking and compassionate. Odd words for a preschooler but not for Kali. She has an overflowing heart of gold and is hard wired to both help others and to always do the right thing. Kali sees a need a jumps in to help. Obviously excellent parental modeling taught her those skills. She is a natural leader and the kids don’t think twice about routinely looking to her for direction. Kali will access their moods, the time of day and the group around her, then decide if the group should build forts, play store or play monster. If someone can’t find their sippy – she’s first up to look for it. If someone scrapes their knee, it’s her hand on their back leading them gently to me for a Band-Aid. If I tell her “shhhh, close your eyes it’s nap time” she obediently squeezes her eyes shut. But more than rule following, she has joy in her heart. She is a full out straight up joyful child. She feels loved, shares love and radiates joyfulness. Coders is much like his sister and certainly excels in the brains department. Our drop in preschool teacher remarked EVERY and I mean EVERY visit that Cody was stunningly articulate with the vocabulary of an elementary child. He has a wild and daredevil streak so the child of mine that will stack tippy, sharp edged rolling items, climb up them and jump off – backwards – eyes closed – onto cement – will be Cody.  The child who can pitch a fit that’s a five star event but then smiles at you with those dimples and that blonde blonde hair and your heart melts. Cody is one of the most ENTHUSIASTIC children I have ever met. He isn’t just wearing a blue shirt, he’s “wearing a BLUE SHIRT!! SEE it’s BLUE!!!! My shirt is BLUE!!!! My pants are NOT BLUE but my shirt is BLUE!!!’ he’ll gush with excitement. He loves his Mommy and Daddy and would often blurt out, “My Daddy’s at work, not in jail but at work. He doesn’t work at a store!!!” These random Cody thoughts were peppered all through our day. Being around Cody was always interesting – you literally never knew what he was going to say next. Both children and huge hearted, clever, loving, happy, happy children. I love them both with all of my heart. Forever.